The students at Summerland are great. We don't have many problems in the playground and virtually none in the classes. We use the Cool Schools Peer Mediation programme throughout the school to help children peacefully resolve any situations of conflict that may arise in the playground.
The Peer Mediation Programme teaches our year 6 mediators the following skills:
* Active listening
* Recognising different feelings
* Using I statements and affirmations
* Recognising types of responses to conflict
* Asking Open and closed questions
* Helping children experiencing conflict to find peaceful solutions to their problems
* Handling difficult situations
Mediation improves the school climate in many ways:
* students develop an appreciation of conflict as something that can be handled positively and learnt from
* students become equipped with valuable skills for handling conflicts both within and outside the school
* A much improved and more cooperative school atmosphere develops
* There are fewer incidents of students involved in troublesome behaviour beyond the school gates and an increase in self esteem.
* Teachers are more able to leave students to find suitable solutions to their problems.
* Students are provided with an excellent resource for dealing with future conflicts in life.
The Mediation Team 2012
38 Year 6 students completed 2 days of mediation training in week 7 of term 1. The 2 day course consisted of learning skills such as:
* recognising different types of conflict
* active listening
* using "I" statements to effectively express feelings
* questioning other people
* how to mediate a conflict situation successfully and support disputants to find a peaceful win-win solution
Here are some photos of the training in action: